I’m coaching basketball again this year, but I’m at a new school where basketball is much more serious and held in a higher regard. That said, I’ve spent a lot of time observing other coaches, watching games, studying plays, and soliciting feedback. It helps that basketball is a sport that I love and one that I played, or else all that time invested could very much seem like a chore and not very enjoyable. That said, as I’ve devoted this time to basketball recently, I’ve realized there are also some pretty good lessons for life within the sport. Here’s what I’ve come up with:
1. Its important to understand the rules and then master the fundamentals.
2. The bigger team isn’t always the better team.
3. Its important to hustle in every play.
4. Sometimes the referees aren’t fair. The game still goes on, and they still have their say. They’re doing their job; we have to do ours.
5. A strong defense can be the best offense.
6. Perfect practice makes perfect.
So, I’m sure there are more life lessons that one could derive from basketball, but that’s what I’ve come up with.
Until next time…