I think that as I get older, I am less inclined to be excited about Christmas music. After all, singing “Jingle Bells” and “Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer” just doesn’t have the same appeal that it had 20 years ago. Nevertheless, there are some Christmas songs that will always be near and dear to my heart. Check them out (in no particular order):
- O Holy Night– The words of the song always tap right into my faith, and speak to me. It generally doesn’t matter who sings it, so long as they CAN sing, but Mariah Carey’s version, along with John Legend’s version are two of my favorites.
- Silent Night (by the Temptations)– Enough said. It’s beautiful, and it’s a classic.
- O Little Town of Bethlehem– This was one of the first songs I learned on the piano when I was four years old. I remember it because it was in my “Charlie Brown’s Christmas” sheet music that someone gave me as a gift. As I’ve grown in my faith, the words of it mean so much more, but as a child it helped to pique my interest in music and my study of the piano.
- This Christmas (by Donny Hathaway)– Is an explanation needed? Again, it’s a classic.
- O Come, All Ye Faithful– I honestly just feel that this is a beautiful song. I’m often moved when I hear “O come let us adore him…”, wondering if in all the things that I do, if I actually demonstrate adoration for God. Hmmm..
Just thought I’d share my five favorite Christmas songs in the spirit of the Season. What are your five favorite Christmas songs?